Gibsonburg, Ohio Volunteer Fire Dept. Drill Team, 1901
The village of Gibsonburg, Ohio, suffered devastating fires in 1895 and again in 1897 when many businesses were damaged or destroyed. As a result, a volunteer fire department was established in February 1898 for the purpose of providing fire protection to property in and around the village of Gibsonburg. The first equipment, hoses, a cart, and rubber coats and hats for the men, was ordered later that month. Initially the village was divided into three districts with a trustee overseeing operations in each of these districts and reporting to the fire chief. The department also formed a drill team. Henry Paul (in front of the team) was the drillmaster. This photograph is part of the Gibonsburg Volunteer Fire Department records donated by the organization in 1999 to the Hayes Presidential Center at Fremont, Ohio.