Thursday, February 16, 2023

World War I Letter of Dr. Robert C. Gill of Norwalk, Ohio

 

                                                              

Dr. Robert C. Gill
Courtesy of Michael Belis and Find A Grave

Robert C. Gill, M.D. of Norwalk, Ohio wrote the following letter at the close of World War I to Mildred Monnet Laning, wife of Sheldon Laning.  The Lanings were close friends who also lived in Norwalk, Ohio. Gill was a descendant of Huron County, Ohio pioneers. He graduated from Norwalk, Ohio high school and Denison University. He received his medical degree from Western Reserve in 1914 and then served an internship at St. Luke's Hospital in Cleveland, Ohio.

Dr. Gill served in World War I as a medical officer of the 37th Division where he attained the rank of major. He trained in Montgomery, Alabama and saw action on several European fronts, including the Argonne Forest and in Belgium. He was awarded the silver star. Dr. Gill married Olga Schroeder of Youngstown, Ohio in 1922. Following his service, he did graduate work at the New York Optalmic Hospital and then returned to Norwalk, Ohio where he practiced medicine until his death in 1955. 

This letter is part of the Sheldon Laning Local History Miscellaneous Manuscript Collection.

 


Capt. R. C. Gill                                                                   Belgium

140th Amb. Co.

112 [?] Train

Amer E Force                                                                     November 11, 19

 Dear Mildred:

 Your first letter was read while I was walking down a lane in Belgium just a few hours before we went – no by God I read it the second day of the drive while we were moving up beyond a ridge that the enemy had occupied the night before. And they gave us hell that night. Your letter was in my hand while we passed machine gun pits, artillery and infantry units lying in support while we moved up under shell fire. I wish Tud [Sheldon Laning] could have seen what your letter saw. Since then I have been in another drive that was just getting underway when the armistice came.

 We had our dressing station about ½ mile from the enemy’s line when peace was declared. In the drive before we moved up to 250 yds of the enemy’s first line at night and at dawn the boys went over under a terrific barrage. We got it coming & going but are all here safe now. Believe me folks, it was hot and I tell you I’ve seen all of War that I want. I’ve seen refugee women running towards our lines bar[e]footed, with their hair down, and bleeding from wounds, They really were surrounded by children and sometimes carrying wounded babies. I saw an old man pushing a wheelbarrow with two wounded babies in it. They came streaming in with our wounded and they all had a smile on their faces. Wounded Boche and Boche prisoners. And all the time the houses in the town to our left and the building to our left were crashing under the Boche shells. Trees falling in the distance and the big shells plunging into the canal behind us searching for our pontoons.  Then between us and then. road large geysers of earth would leap into the air. They were trying to get the high road then. Machine guns around us were rattling and one [?] banging in our ears. Once in a while something would swizz thru the air. Besides we had a light attack of sneezing gas. Believe me, one took interest in things. We laid behind straw-stacks til we got word to go forward and then moved cause the Boche were getting our range.

 Some of those things I believe I’ll never forget and some I never want to remember again. I can’t tell you where we are yet because the censor-ship is still on. The Division has made a name for itself. You going to invite me and some nice girl to your house party? I’ll come if you keep your old man from saying embarrassing things and behave yourselves. You try any sfommy [?] in my presence as you two usually do or I'll go you one better or go home or get drunk or something. When I get home I want to get drunk in Cleveland. Can you spare Tud one night to take care of me? Lord know somebody ought to for I sure am going to celebrate, oh Boy. You might keep that cider til I get home – it will be tart alright.

 Just now we are still doing fours right and fours left. It seems strange to see lights in all the houses and to go out in the moonlight and not hear a plane over head. Write soon ”tootsweet” and tell Tud I’m using “commissary” tobacco.  Yours Bob.

 Almost forgot to tell you. I got my captaincy after the first drive and on the third front was given command of the company. It’s a hell of a job taking care of 122 men keeping em fed clothed and in good spirits. They can send me home now and cut out the honors.

 Yours,

Bob

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: